A Public Service Announcement! ;)

A Public Service Announcement! ;)

Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Mike Cotton Leaves Wizard

After 11 years, Wizard writer Mike Cotton is leaving the company for other opportunities. The Beat writes, "it was commonly said that when Cotton left the Wizard ship it would be nothing but an empty hulk drifting the seas." I am one who certainly agrees with that statement, but I have to admit that it has been at least 5years since I've opened a copy of Wizard.

Here's my Mike Cotton story, and I think it says a lot about the man, who really is a fine writer. I don't know if he remembers this, but I do:

The only time I've been to SDCC was back in around 2001 or 2002. I happened by a row of tables near the Wizard booth. I remember a spinning wheel that featured give-aways, and I'm pretty sure Lou Ferrigno was nearby too. I happened to see a gentleman wearing a name tag. "Wow, that's Mike Cotton!" I mouthed silently, only to see the fellow reading my lips and display a little bit of blushing pride and humility at my awe.

No comments: