A Public Service Announcement! ;)

A Public Service Announcement! ;)

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Ninja, Please! : Ruben Bolling's Comic on the Huck Finn Controversy

Yes, I think the n-word should stay in all editions of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Erasing history only helps us to repeat it, and not facing uncomfortable feelings and conversations doesn't do anything to make anything better.

On the other hand, as a ninja, I know how hurtful it can be to hear someone use an n-word in a derogatory manner. And, I know how hurtful it is to have your particular n-word appropriated in the place of another hurtful n-Word. "Ninja, What?" "Where my ninjas at?" "What up, my ninja?" When will the pain cease?
When these kids realize that real ninjas bring real pain, that's when! Hye-yah!

Forgive me for my crass spin on "Ask a Ninja," but do give thanks to Ruben Bolling for offering some comics commentary on this latest flapdoodle and hoo-hah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the word nigger, while bad sounding does not make me uncomfortable. it is a word with history to it and that is that. similarly, cracker [white person] should not be edited out ever.

these words help keep their stories in context. removing words since it might 'offend' someone goes a long way to destroying books.

in Mark twain's book, black people were slaves in his day and not treated well [obviously]. referring to a black person as a nigger shows that fact. so removing the word is pointless.