A Public Service Announcement! ;)

A Public Service Announcement! ;)

Friday, April 16, 2010

Minority Representations in Comics

This video is a good resource about how minstrel figures, picanninies, yellow-skinned demons and other non-white characters have been represented in comics.

Once I teach another comic course, I'll probably use this video. I often ask students to visit the Grand Comic Book Database and look at minority representations in old covers of Captain America, Luke Cage, Tarzan, etc. It's an eye-opening experience.

2 comments:

Ben Villarreal said...

Great find! I'll be showing this in class on Monday for sure :-)

nyrdyv said...

I really wish more people would be able to sanely and honestly discuss the image that is presented to us in so much of pop culture.

Of course, recognizing the discouragements presented to us from the past can help us each be more cognizant of what to work towards for the future.

Cheers!

Steven G. Willis
XOWComics.com